Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Possible Opportunity

I may have a very neat opportunity coming up. My sister wants to go to New York City to visit her best friend who is currently attending NYU. Naturally my parents won't let her go by herself, and who better to accompany her, than an me? I think it would be a lot of fun to go, but a part of me is hesitant about being the responsible one on a trip like that. I've never been to a city that size, and being responsible for not only my own safety, but that of my sister is somewhat daunting. I'm sure we'd be fine, and that nothing bad would happen, but I just don't know how well I'd do as a chaperon in New York City. I've wanted to go to New York for a long time, but now that it's getting closer to the actual possibility of doing it, I'm a little anxious. I want to go, and it would be fun, but there's a part of me that really likes being comfortable, and this might be a bit of a stretch in my comfort zone. Not that that's a bad thing... I'm always saying I want an adventure, and this could be it. So far this is my pro/con list, so here we go...

Pros:
I would get to go to New York City (that alone is a treat)
Now is definitely the time to do this kind of thing, because I don't really have much tying me down. I've got plenty of vacation time, and no children to worry about. Daniel could definitely fend for himself for a week.
I would get to spend a week with my sister before she goes off to college and then who knows where.
Getting out of Washington in the middle of February is always a bonus.
I could possibly maybe see Wicked (which would be amazing!)
My favorite movie of all time (You've Got Mail) takes place there, so I would get to see some of the sights.
I have a feeling New York is magical, and I just may find out I'm right.

Cons:
I've never been to NY before, and I'm a little intimidated.
I have a feeling this trip could get quite expensive if I did everything I wanted, but I'm pretty sure I'd set limits...
I'd be gone for Valentines day...which really isn't a big deal since Daniel and I have never once actually gone out on a date on Valentines day. (we're more of the stay home and eat pizza type)

So dear readers, I turn to you (as I often do when I need advice). Would you go? Why? Convince me I'm brave enough to handle this!

8 comments:

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

GO!!!

Seriously. Even on your own list, the pros totally outweigh the cons!!

One BIG pro is that if you don't go, you'll regret it for years to come!

Tiffany said...

Do it! Brent and I live in NYC! I would love to get together if you come and I could help you get things figured out. It's great out here and you would love it! Email me if you want tiffanysorenson@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

You simply MUST GO! If there is going to be a time in your life when it fits in, this is it. When you get older, you get picky...about everything. Picky=more money. When I say picky, I am thinking about places you would stay, eat, visit, and so forth. Go while your young and adventurous. I think you will regret not going a whole lot more than going.

Brent and Nicole said...

Oh, Alicia, you would love NY!!! When I went there, the people I stayed with had to go somewhere for a night and so I just wandered out on my own. The people there are the friendliest I have ever met. THe pizza is amazing and broadway is definitly a must-not miss. You can do it!!!

Em and Ms said...

I can totally relate to your mixed feelings. However, sometimes you just have to do brave things for incredible opportunities--who knows if it will come again? Plus, you'll have some people there with you who know their way around (your sister's friend, a previous commenter). It's not like a foreign country where nobody speaks English and you can't read signs! You'll do great and have a lot of fun. Oh, and you do have to spend money to have fun in New York. My husband told me that when we went there and going with that knowledge made the trip so much more enjoyable. Of course you have to set limits, but it's okay to splurge.

Holly said...

You should totally go. I lived there summer of '06 and spent the whole summer wandering around by myself seeing the sights and had a great time. Plus Jared and his wife live right there in the middle of Manhattan in case you need anything. I'm actually going back in December for a week, I'm really excited to see the city when it's all decorated for Christmas!

SuzanSayz said...

Alicia, you know that you should go! I will admit though, that I would feel the same way. I get so nervous when I encounter opportunities like this. It just seems so huge and slightly scary and suddenly ALL I can think of are the bad things that could happen. Like Heidi said though, You are young. I'm sure it is an expensive place for a lot of things, but you are obviously a budgeter. You need to decide the things that you simply must do and plan on doing them. Then you can economize on everything else. And one big word of advice, be careful what restaurants you go in to. Great Grandpa Brinkerhoff and his brother went to New York City (he always made sure to ad on City, he never just said New York) many years ago for a family reunion. They were actually in a really nice hotel and one day there, they decided, to go eat in the hotel's restaurant. They figured, sure it would be pricey, but they weren't too worried. Well the cheapest thing on the menu, I think it was like a plain regular hamburger, was 25.00. Yes that's right, 25 for just a lousy hamburger. And keep in mind that this was more than 17 years ago. He and his brother realized they had sadly mistaken their ability to eat at such a Swanky place. Well they were too embarrassed to get up and leave so they both had the rather tasteless hamburger and they drank water that was around 3 bucks a glass. Grandpa told me that story a couple of times. He wanted all of his loved ones to know to be very careful what eateries they went into if ever in New York City.
I know He would be very pleased that I have warned you!
Love Aunt Susan.

Heidi D said...

I have a new post on my blog. Would you please visit. it's decourseyproject.blogger.com

Thanks