Wednesday, April 15, 2009

It's already Wednesday

I'll start by saying that I had a fabulous Easter Weekend, complete with pictures, which true to form are still on my camera. One of the major perks of working at a Catholic University are the holidays. We get all the usual, ie. 4th of July, Veterans day, etc. but we also get some obscure ones, like Saint Benedict's day, Good Friday and Easter Monday. This made for a nice long weekend, even if it rained the whole time.


But that, my friends, is not the point of this post.

I have some news, that has been making me giddy with excitement since Saturday Night.


This may not seem like such a big deal to some of you, but I'm sure others understand perfectly.

The reason I'm so excited is because Daniel and I are going on a vacation in just 3 short weeks. It's a little last minute, but we've been scheming and planning for quite while. So when a good deal came up, we grabbed it.

So now, for the details of our upcoming adventure: Very, very early on May 7th, we'll be flying down to Disneyland, and staying till May 13th. We'll be going down there with Daniel's parents, his brother and our niece Emma. this will be a lot of fun, and we're staying in a two bedroom suite, so there will be enough room for everyone. I've been to Disneyland a couple times, but it has been almost 10 years since my last trip, so to prepare for this trip, I've been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on for good tips and advice. My mother-in-law bought an Unofficial Disneyland Guide book that I'm almost done with, and it has a lot of ideas about when to do certain rides etc. I know a lot of you are Disneyland experts, so if you have any tips, advice, or stories please share!

One last thing is my dilemma. I am having a hard time deciding whether convenience or fashion is more important...basically, do I Fanny pack? or do I not fanny pack? I can see the advantages of carrying a fanny pack with water bottles, snacks, camera, everything...but I kind of cringe at the thought of it. Advice is welcome, and please vote on my poll in the sidebar!


just looking at this makes me excited!

11 comments:

Heidi D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi D said...

Crap, I forgot to spell check....it's been a long day. {sheepish grin}

Em and Ms said...

That will be so fun! NO FANNY PACK! I couldn't believe how many I saw there. You don't want to look back at pictures and think you look like a geek. I took a purse with camera, small water bottle, etc. and was just fine. Or, there were lots of people with backpacks. You could just have one for all of you.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I would go back pack, that way you can throw in a sweatshirt for the evening, it gets chilly when the sun goes down. And going back to your hotel to change is a waste of precious time...

I am jealous, wish it were me. Please hug Mickey for me ;)

SuzanSayz said...

I was going to say forget fashion, go with convenience. Even though that really does go against everything I hold dear. Then Emily and Cindy brought up the backpack solution. You could even go all out and get a cute one. If you each carried one you could bring a lot more stuff along too. Of course you need to remember that the usual rules don't really apply at the Happiest Place on Earth. If you feel comfortable with the ever so nerdy fanny pack, or if you could talk Daniel into wearing it, it would probably be a bit easier than backpacks. Sometimes there is a certain feeling of freedom when it comes to breaking the rules and wearing something you wouldn't be caught dead in otherwise. And isn't that one of the great things about vacations after all? The freedom to be whoever and whatever you want?
One more thing Alicia, you and Daniel are so darn cute that I doubt even a well placed fanny pack could make you look too ridiculous.
I think that having pictures of you two both wearing fanny packs would be fun.
It makes a statement.
It says, "We are so confident and sure of ourselves that we will even wear these stupid looking fanny packs. And we will even let ourselves be photographed while wearing them. That's how far we've come from being weighed down by peer pressure"!!!

Unknown said...

i'm jealous! early may is the BEST time to go, nice weather, hardly any fanny pack filled lines. my advice: no fanny pack, no flip flops, no crocs, don't forget sunscreen and don't forget California adventure.

Brent and Nicole said...

Congratulations on your exciting adventure! I would second all the other posts, i would bring a backpack instead of a fanny pack. I brought one with me to europe and sometimes got suspicious of people behind me so in lines and things like that, I just wore it on my front. yes, it looks a little goofy but I felt so much more secure and it was handy to be able to just reach in and grab something. Have so much fun!

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I am so insanely jealous!! We were going to go down in December, but then our baby was born early and we scrapped the plans.

I say (and voted) for the fanny pack. The backpack idea is good, because as Cindy pointed out, it does allow for a sweatshirt and more stuff. But every ride you get on, it's "What do we do with the backpack?"

The fanny pack we used on our last trip easily slipped around my body to be invisible in pictures (when I remembered to move it, that is) and when we got on rides, it was never an issue.

We discovered how amazingly convenient it was to rent a locker, and that was where we stuck our sweatshirts, souvenirs, and other things we didn't want to carry around.

Did I mention that I'm incredibly jealous?

Heidi D said...

{cracking knuckles} Where do I begin? First off. Wear what is comfortable. You see EVERYTHING in Disneyland. The one thing you can guarantee is that you will NOT stick out. You will not see the same workers, guests, or scenarios more than once.

As for tips, I'll just wait till I see you this weekend. Have you seen my Disneyland scrapbook? I'll bring it for you if you'd like. I always like a reason to bring it out. :))

We are going to be at Mike's on Thursday evening. Maybe you could come over too? Anyway we'll catch up then.

Soooooo exciting!!!

Alicia said...

Thanks for all the advice and tips so far! I'm looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!

Anne Bennion said...

I would opt for a back pack instead of a fanny pack. You could even find some cute/trendy over one shoulder style backpacks! I am so jealous of your trip!