Friday, April 13, 2012

The Zoo

When I worked at Saint Martin's before I had Hannah, I established that there were two perks of working for the Catholics, the second of which, is Easter weekend, (the first is Christmas break).  Daniel had Good Friday, and Easter Monday off, and instead of just hanging around the house, I decided we'd enjoy the gorgeous sunshine we were lucky enough to have.  So I planned a family trip to the zoo on Monday.

Hannah loves animals, really loves animals.  Her favorite books are about animals that live in the jungle, or on a farm, or in the ocean, so I knew this would be something she'd enjoy.   She is also an animal sound expert.  When Daniel and I taught sunbeams a few years ago, I thought it was adorable to have the little three year olds do animal sounds.  It turns out it's even more cute when it's your own 17 month old.  For weeks we've been practicing animal sounds, I think Hannah has more animal sounds than words...maybe not the most useful skill, but it's pretty cute.

We headed up to the Point Defiance zoo early Monday morning, because the forecast suggested there could be PM showers, and we didn't want any of that.  The zoo overlooks the Puget Sound and is at such a beautiful location, I would be interested in going back and picnicking at the nearby park. The entire day was beautiful, and after losing our jackets around eleven, I almost wished I'd been wearing shorts.  

It was a good day.  Hannah loved the petting zoo, so I think we'll try and take her to the Cider Mill this weekend, so she can get another taste of farm animals.  She also loved the tiger (pictured below). The Tiger was in up against a glass wall that looked out onto some other exhibits, and across the way there was some sort of yak, that I think he was interested in eating.  The tiger was pacing back and forth, sniffing the air, and really putting on a show trying to stalk the other animal.  Hannah loved it.


2 comments:

Kayleen Moulton said...

Yay! Pictures! Thanks for sharing your fun.

Brent and Nicole said...

She is getting SO BIG! I can't believe it. What a darling family. I can't wait until Lincoln is old enough to enjoy things like the zoo