This past weekend Daniel and I watched our two and a half year old niece Emma, and I have to admit, the whole parenting thing is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Emma is by no means a difficult child, but it was almost exhausting trying to keep up with her. Perhaps it's different when it's your own child, or when you've had it since it was a baby, but jumping in head first with a toddler was a lot of work.
Yesterday we were at the point where we were ready to send her back, see her in a couple weeks, but never babysit again, (and rethink having children ever). The funny thing, is that as soon as she left, we missed her and felt like we were missing a new part of our family. How does it work that we were so ready to be done, but the moment she was gone we missed it. She drove us crazy for a few hours, but one sweet hug and we were all hers. Is this what parenting is? Moments of complete adoration intermixed in the chaotic happenings of life? I know babysitting for 48 hours is a lot different than parenting, but I think I got a glimpse this weekend, and it was an interesting mixture of experiences and feelings.
5 comments:
Yep.. That's what parenting is.
Of course, when you raise them from chicks the toddler stage comes on a bit more gradually so you get to ramp up to it. It's still totally exhausting though...
Emma was great! We loved having you guys over... Gotta do it again soon!
Yes, that is EXACTLY what parenting is. It is exhausting, frusterating, and scary...yet I wouldn't trade it for the world. The happiness, satisfaction, and joy that come from watching my children grow and learn totally outweighs any thing else. A rewarding experience. You and Daniel will make great parents. And that Emma....what a doll.
I think you've figured it out quite nicely Alicia. It does make a huge difference when it is your own child. Really. But, it can be quite helpful to have these babysitting examples as well. There will be more times when you can count where you will feel like "this is not what I signed up for". And it's usually true. I think if first time parents really knew the challenges, the big and little aggravations, the lost sleep, the temper tantrums, the fighting (that of course requires at least two kids) The disobedience, and all the other hard times there will be in raising a child, that there wouldn't be as many first time parents. And that would be a shame. Having kids includes all that negativity and more, but the love, the exhilaration, the sheer joy of helping to shape and mold your own children is a blessing beyond words. So when the time is right go ahead and have those babies. It will be more tiring, frustrating and harder than you could ever imagine but also the most joy and satisfaction you will ever experience in any other pursuit you could ever undertake.
Alicia- I get a kick out of reading your blog. I love the honesty and straightforward nature you show. This post hit home to me. Parenting is definitely a challenge and can be quite exhausting. Jace & Jenna wear me out most days and I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get to sleep in again. (Not that I've ever really been one to sleep late.) As others have replied, though, there are moments that are full of pure joy. Life is so interesting with my two little ones, I'm sure I'd be bored to tears without them. You and Daniel will be great parents!
Hey Alicia! Thanks for your comment on my blog a few weeks back. It's funny how we're technically family and yet I never knew anything about you! It's been fun to get to know more of this part of my husband's family. You and your husband are such a cute couple.
You really did hit it right on. Yes, it is different when it's your own child but sounds like you got a great glimpse! The main difference is your child knows you and can usually be comforted by you. We haven't hit the toddler stage yet, but we do have one very active little girl. It can definitely be exhausting (especially when she won't take a nap in church, like today!), but those little moments of adoration and pure love make it all worthwhile and then some.
I can't wait to get to know more about your family! I'll be adding your blog to my Google Reader.
Post a Comment