Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Windy


Today has been a windy day. Daniel and I went out to lunch together today, and I just about felt like I was going to get blown over. The wind has been howling outside my window all day and the lights have been flickering. This reminds me of Rexburg. The wind wasn't too bad in the summer, but it made the winter that much colder. One of my favorite memories of life in Rexburg was the very last semester we lived there. It was summer, and we were broke. More broke than I can really believe, even now. I was graduating and we were moving back to Washington in a couple months, and we were doing everything we could to make the time go quickly. The days were hot, but when it cooled down, it was a perfectly comfortable evening. My favorite thing to do on those long summer evenings was to go for a walk around Smith Park, which was conveniently only a block from our apartment. We'd time the walk perfectly, right after the sunset, and we were surrounded in twilight. Sometimes we'd play on the swings, or sit on the bleachers by the baseball field, but usually we'd walk a few loops around the park, dodging sprinklers, and talking about the possibilities of the future. We'd dream of our upcoming move, babies, houses, anything and everything. It all seemed so far off, and impossible at the time. All we really cared about was the fact that our future held a lot of potential. It still does, but back then it seemed so simple. So while I sit here, listening to the wind outside my window, I remember happiness despite the struggles we were going through. I loved those simple walks on a warm summer night, holding the hand of the one I love. I really believe it is the small simple things in life that make all the difference. Right now I'm grateful to have good memories of our time in Rexburg, and on this cold blustery afternoon, I'm longing for summer, with long evenings and walks during the magical, dusky twilight.

picture from www.rexburg.org

2 comments:

Heidi D said...

Ah, young love.

Jeff and I used to take walks too. You made me wish for summer even more now. I LOVE summer evenings, when the temperature is just right.

We love hanging out with you guys too! We will be up in about 3 weeks. :)

SuzanSayz said...

This was a really beautiful essay on your early life together Alicia. One day your children and grandchildren will love reading this.