Friday, May 29, 2009

My Garden


I live in an apartment, and it meets my needs just fine. I look forward to owning a home, but I'm happy making the best of what I've got. One thing that isn't really practical about living in an apartment is having a garden, so leave it to my mother-in-law, to give me an apartment garden (for my birthday). I know this isn't technically what it's called, but let me introduce to you, my AeroGarden:
Picture from aerogrow.com



So far my Basil is growing the most.


We only planted our garden 2 weeks ago, so I'm really impressed with how quickly things have started sprouting and growing. It'll still be a few weeks till it's ready go use use, but it has been so easy to care for. Yesterday was the first time it asked for more water and nutrients. All that involved, was pouring water into the garden, and emptying two little nutrient tablets into it. This garden lets you know exactly what it needs, and the lights are on a schedule, so there's no forgetting to turn it on or off. This is really my kind of contraption. Our garden came with an herb kit, and I'm sure I'll love cooking with fresh herbs during the summer and fall. But when it's time to replant, you'd better believe I'm going to do strawberries. I can't think of anything better than having a garden full of fresh strawberries in the middle of winter.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

ummm I think I need one of these!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

wow this is too cool. I wonder what tomatos would do???

The Reynolds said...

I've been wanting one of these! Now I'm more tempted! I still need to talk to you and tell you how things went and what's going on in both our lives!

Brent and Nicole said...

That is awesome!! We hate living in a basement because we can't grow anything. I bought an orchid with high hopes that it would stay alive, but we don't have any windows for it, so it is slowly dying... so sad. Let me know how it turns out!

SuzanSayz said...

Oooh, I've seen those but I didn't know that you could grow anything other than herbs. Not that I have anything against herbs "per se" But given the choice between Strawberries or Oregano, I'l take the Strawberries every time.

Heidi D said...

One of the ladies I visit teach has one and they are very cool.

I think it would be fun to have one.

Jenni said...

I like your mother-in-law :) that is a smart gift!