This morning I had cereal for breakfast. This is a pretty normal thing for me, even though I go through stages where I think I'm lactose intolerant (separate issue). This morning I got out my cereal bowl, and grabbed the corn chex and life, sat down and enjoyed my breakfast.
I have been a cereal mixer for my whole life, and I never thought anything of it until Daniel and I were dating. When he found out I mix cereals, he acted like that was in the top ten of the most bizarre things he'd ever heard. He couldn't imagine mixing two, maybe even three cereals in one bowl, and I haven't been able to convince him to give it a try.
I have my personal favorite combinations, depending on what I have on hand. One of them has grape nuts on the bottom, then a layer of chex (corn or rice), and granola on top. The grape nuts give it a good crunch, the chex are good filler, and the granola (homemade and delicious) has just a light sweetness to make it a perfect topping. Other favorites include corn flakes, honey bunches of oats, and of course, granola. I don't know if this cereal mixing phenomenon came from my moms or dads side of the family, or if it is something unique they created in their own early years of marriage. Either way, I enjoy a good variety of cereals in the morning, and if you're like Daniel, I'd suggest you give it a try.
Is there anybody else out there who mixes it up in the morning, or are you all purists, afraid of a little cereal pizazz?
7 comments:
You are so cute. My dad has always been a cereal mixer and I always thought he was the only one in the world. I'll have to tell him about you :)
I'm definitely a purist when it comes to cereal. My grandma used to stay with us a couple months each year and she would mix 4 or 5 different cereals, and she'd also eat the crust pieces of bread! We thought she was so wierd :) Lately I have 1/2 a bowl of cereal and fill it up the rest of the way with strawberries and blueberries.
I used to mix cereal. I think your combos sound really good. The last one would probably redeem Honey Bunches. Their flakes get soggy to fast. :P
I totally mix... And then I add fruit, for an additional mix!
hmmm, I definitely keep it to one cereal. But I have found out that I am allergic to milk, so I now drink almond milk. In cereal I can barely even tell the difference. You should try it and see if it helps!
I have been known to mix it up from time to time. Usually from necessity though. Like if there is only a third of a bowl left of corn pops and a half bowl of fruity tooties. It seems like the natural thing to do.
My children, on the other hand, have always done it on purpose just like you.
Oh, definitely from your dad's side. Grandma Green is a cereal mixer and passed it down to the rest of us, although, I haven't done it in quite a while.
Post a Comment