Tuesday, February 22, 2011

a new hobby perhaps

A week ago I went to a beginning couponing class taught by these lovely ladies.  They gave tips, advice, and instruction, and it was just what I needed to get going.  Yesterday evening, our family of three headed out to target to make good on some deals they had alerted me to.  I got free dishwasher soap, and two pairs of jeans for cheap.  I'm not a pro-couponer yet, I don't even have a binder or very many coupons, but I'm headed that way.  I'm making a point to check the couponing blogs, I might even get a newspaper subscription and hopefully soon I'll get the hang of it.  I'm all about finding a bargain, and it seems like it could be a good hobby as well as help our budget go further.

Speaking of which (our budget, that is), Daniel is looking for a job.  Thankfully he has been doing some programming recently, but it's not full time or permanent.  He's looking for anything really, so if you have leads/ideas we're happy to hear them.  We're also willing to relocate if necessary, although it just might break Hannah's grandparents hearts...and mine too. 

I love Olympia.  I go through phases where I have a relocation fantasy.  The most recent is New York City (this one happens a lot).  I watched You've Got Mail twice last week.  My excuse is that both Hannah and I were sick, so it's ok to be lazy when you're sick.   In my fantasy I imagine we're moving somewhere.  I then wikipedia the location, go on craigslist, look at all the apartments on there and imagine what life would be like somewhere else.  Then I remember that I like only paying $750 in rent and having my parents five minutes away. 

Last night I had some tangerines kicking around from a bountiful basket I got the end of January and I juiced them by hand.  The sweet freshness of the juice kicked in my southern California fantasy (another favorite).  I could get used to fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast...but for now it'll just be a day dream. 

5 comments:

Em and Ms said...

I did hear recently about a clinical job in the Tri-Cities. What kind of work does he want?

SuzanSayz said...

I understand about not wanting to leave the city you've come to love. I can't imagine any circumstance that would make me leave my Tri-Cities. Sometimes though, when watching HGTV and seeing areas with really inexpensive housing I wonder what it would be like to move to other parts of the country.

The Winns said...

I have been wanting to get into the couponing craze for a while now but I feel like there is just so much to it! I have a binder all ready... now I just new to find the coupons and deals. :) I totally hear ya about wanting to move. We want to get out of Utah so bad and just want to be somewhere new and exciting where we've never been... although we would go back to Oly in a heartbeat!

Brent and Nicole said...

What a fun new hobby!! Takes time and also saves big bucks!! I have been wanting to get into couponing lately but the only stores we have here that are also on the mainland are Walmart and Safeway... Not a lot of couponing power. If you find any great sites or tips, let me know. I miss Oly too... might be back to visit in a couple weeks!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

you should totally teach your Favorite Aunt (since I am not Hannah's :) about this couponing hobby your getting into. I am the worst couon person ever!