Monday, September 19, 2011

little reminders

Hannah is having her afternoon nap and I was going to use this time before she wakes up to do crunches before I go out on a run with my friend Kim.  Instead, I started a load of laundry (towels) and found a wooden puzzle piece mixed in with the dirty laundry.  

I love these little reminders that I'm a mom.  It's a little pause throughout the day to remember that I have a baby.  What I wanted for so long, is happening.  Sometimes after Hannah's in bed for the evening and Daniel and I sit down to watch TV, I get so wrapped up in whatever we're watching that I forget there's a baby sleeping just one room away.  Then I see her pile of toys on the floor and smile.  It's the same realization: 'I am a mother'. 

I hope it doesn't sound callous to say that sometimes I forget that I'm a mother.  It's not like I actually forget, sometimes I just like the little reminders...like the rubber duckies in the bathtub.  The puzzle pieces in the laundry, the baby shoes next to our shoes at the door.  My recent favorite: coordinating outfits on Sundays.  If anything happened to me and I didn't get to watch Hannah grow up, I would hope she knew how much I love being her Mother.

No comments: