I'm going to share a recipe!
Are you excited?
OK good. First, a little background on this recipe. I grew up eating granola with my cereal, mixed in with yogurt, and even plain, long before it became known as a 'hippie' food. The granola I ate was home made and delicious. Now granola has a bit of a different connotation, but I still love it.
Over the last few weeks, I've been thinking more and more about this granola, and getting the itch to make some. So on Sunday, after a failed attempt at a nap, I pulled out the ingredients and a very large bowl and got to work. I wish I could bottle the smell of this baking granola and send it to each of you. I'm sure this would encourage you to give it a try.
Zoom Breakfast Granola
1LB (approx 5 cups) Zoom
4 cups rolled oats
2 cups wheat germ or oat bran
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 cups flake coconut
1 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sliced almonds (I usually add more)
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup honey
2 t. vanilla
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease well, two baking sheets. In a large mixing bowl combine first seven ingredients. In a small pan, heat oil, honey and vanilla until mixture begins to bubble. Stir constantly. Thoroughly mix the liquid with the dry ingredients. Divide and spread evenly between prepared baking sheets; bake uncovered 20-25 minutes or until coconut is browned. While baking stir 3-4 times, redistributing granola in an even layer. Remove from oven; Stir occasionally while cooling. Store thoroughly cooled granola in an airtight container. Serve in a bowl with milk or cream. Makes approx. 14 cups.
If any of you try this recipe, let me know if you like it! If you don't, I'll take your granola for myself!
3 comments:
My Mouth. It waters. I am gonna go buy some Zoom and MAKE THIS!!!
Hmm, I have a box of almost unused Zoom. I might have to try this.
I also have some shredded coconut that's been renting out space in my freezer for over a year.
Of course I can't help but think that grandpa Brinkerhoff would be saying,
"OH NO!!! You went and ruined your granola by putting nasty cocnut all over it?!?"
tee hee
Gee, and his birthday was yesterday too.
alright.. this sounds yummy! I love granola too even the hippie kind ;)
Post a Comment