Wednesday, April 6, 2011

why I'm more of a cat person

A few years ago, had somebody asked me if I'd be more comfortable bathing a small slippery baby, or a dog, I would easily have chosen the dog.  I'd been nervous about giving my baby baths, until she got here and I found out it really isn't that hard. 

If you were to ask me today, whether I'd rather bathe a baby, or a dog, I'd definitely say baby. 

After play group this morning, Hannah and I stopped by my parents (who are vacationing in Arizona) house to check on their poodle Pippin.  Their neighbor lets him out in the morning, and Daniel has been letting him out in the evenings, but I figured we'd stop by and give him some attention while we were out. 

Pippin was of course eager to greet us, jumping up and down on the other side of the door, just waiting for us to come in.  As soon as I opened the door, I was assaulted with a stink like you wouldn't believe.  I can only assume that on one of his recent trips outside he found something to roll in. He was caked in greenish/brown gunk that had dried into his gray curls.  Both of his sides and his chest were covered in this stuff.  I'm sure he was loving it, but I couldn't let him stay like that, especially the way it reeked!

Thankfully my parents have made every effort to accommodate Hannah at their house.  I was able to deposit her in her exersaucer, and attempt to get Pippin cleaned up. 

As I was bathing him, clumps of gunk kept coming off of him and the water going down the drain was brown.  I don't know what he found to roll in, and how long he'd been like that but it was enough to make me gag.  It may have taken half a bottle of shampoo, and I was soaked from the knees down and up to my elbows, but I did it!  You guys, it is a lot harder to bathe a dog, than a baby. A LOT!

Pippin, clean but hyper after his bath.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Hahahahaha, this just made me smile. Because I've been in that situation too many times to count. And the picture! Exactly what it looks like when he's playing (or shaking the water of), he's pouncing and probably barking with is playful sharp bark! Oh Pippin...

Brent and Nicole said...

LOL, this story hits home in our household as well! Luckily Crash just sits and shakes in the bath but he does get into some nasty stuff every once in awhile. Good for you for taking the initiative!

Heidi D said...

I just saw the tittle and I was like, "Uh, cuz cats are better. Duh." :0)

Poor Alicia for having to bathe a stinking muck covered dog.

Lucky Alicia for getting to bathe a sweet pink baby girl.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I was thinking roughly the same things as Heidi - and I bet Hannah's next bath was that much more enjoyable after the Pippin experience...