Thursday, April 24, 2008

Rain Drops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens

I've been thinking lately about a few of my favorite things. This list is in no way complete, but it's a start.

Finding old mix cd's. My parents cleaned out the room I used to have, and boxed up or threw away a lot of my old things. This was fine by me, as I typically don't have pack-rat tendencies. They gave me a few boxes with trinkets and treasures, and in one of them was a stack of cd's I'd made somewhere around my junior or senior year of high school, as I was just starting to get into music (that wasn't soft rock). On Sunday, I went through those boxes, found those cd's and have been listening to them off and on this week. On the way to work today, I was surprised by my choice of songs on one particular cd. It was quite the eclectic collection of Jimmy Eat World, Phil Collins, and even Hilary Duff (that was the surprise). It's such a fun, almost nostalgic thing to listen to music I once loved for various reasons, and remember it again.

Even though the weather has been completely unreasonable this year, I still love, and always will love spring time. I love the gradual change in the weather, as each morning gets a little warmer, the flowers get a little taller, and the days get longer.

Another favorite thing is baking. I love all kinds of baking, everything from pizza, to bread, to biscuits, to muffins. I love almost all kinds of muffins...blueberry, pumpkin chip, cinnamon, yogurt, banana nut, poppy sead, chocolate chip, and probably most of all brown sugar muffins.

That's all for this one, but stay tuned for more favorite things as I happen upon them!

7 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Thanks for your sweet comments this morning. I am glad to find your blog. That's one of my 'favorite things'....exploring new blogs. I especially love your use of color while listing all the different types of muffins. Little things like that make my day. I'll keep checking back.
Oh, and about your poll....buy a camera, and rechargable batteries. I snap pictures all day long. I treasure memories, and photos are one of the best ways to capture them forever :)

SuzanSayz said...

I love your sweet happy positive blogs Alicia. I was planning to write blogs on my favorite things too. I kinda thought that once a week I might pay tribute to the things I hold dear and also just the things I find amusing, cute, soft and cuddly or just plain nice. Oh, be sure and let us know what you decide to use your money for I am really interested what you will decide.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I love old mix CDs too! I was down in the cave the other day, digging for ingredients for my "Manic Mix Contest", and came across some mix CDs I'd completely forgotten about, and my week has been like yours, listening to them and smiling about the experience.

I loved your Pumpkin Chip muffins, and am looking forward to trying some of the other varieties (maybe Brown Sugar?) soon.. or at the next General Conference!

Finally, Although I love my Zune, I can't argue that a good digital camera is crucial to have. I recently bought some for the guys at work to take pictures of jobsites for use on our website. I found a great one from Panasonic that has a high capacity rechargeable battery, great image quality, and a 10x optical zoom lens. That last part is one of the most important aspects of any digital camera - a good OPTICAL zoom. Don't fall for big numbers on "digital zoom", it's garbage. Optical will get you the best pictures. Of course, you took a photog class, so you probably already know that. But if you're not gonna get a Zune, I at least had to share my camera tips...

-mike

Holly said...

Alicia!
I'm so glad you found my blog. Yours is totally cute, I love it. It sounds like you guys are doing well and having lots of fun.

The Donald said...

I love finding old mix cd's..or in some cases, old mix tapes of songs I recorded off the radio. It is a good reminder of what kind of music I liked at certain stages of my life.

Crazy Phillips Momma said...

Hey it's your cousin Jenny. Cute blog. I will keep track of you. got your blog off of Serena

Anonymous said...

Alicia! I am so excited that you have a blog. It's so fun to keep up with everyone that way. I love your list of your favorite things too. Every time I'm having a bad day I try to get out my "Happy List" and add some things that make me happy to it. What a great idea. I also like your "Books I Loved" list. It's funny because I've read and loved over half the books on your list too. I'll have to try the others!