Sunday, June 8, 2008

Doves

My parents have built a bird sanctuary on the back patio. There are two doves who come by regularly, but only one of them was there yesterday. I like doves, and I've done a little research and have found:

Doves mate for life and show a willingness to work hard together. Both doves work together to build a nest. Next, when the mother lays the eggs, both the father and mother keep them warm. When the young chicks are born, both doves actively care for and tend to the new family members.

What a good example for us. It's amazing that birds do a better job following the rules of life than humans do. I get so sick of people making stupid choices and neglecting the things that are most important. Why can't we be more like doves? Focused on what really matters. It may be simply instinctual for doves to go about life in this manner, but I think people have a harder time. Last week I read the transcript of the World Leadership training meeting that was held back in February. A couple things stuck out and tied in with my dove thoughts. I'm not going to quote it here, because I don't like reading a bunch of big long quotes on other people's blogs, but the link is available, and the message is inspiring. I happen to have virtually nothing to do at work most days, so it was a good use of one morning last week, and if you ever happen upon some spare time, I'd recommend it.

I don't know what this world is coming to, but I love finding small things that make me happy each day. It makes my life just a little cheerier, and brighter and these thoughts about doves, have been the source of this happiness over the last couple days.

4 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

I love that you are finding joy in the little things. That's what makes for a happy life.

Thanks for the info on Doves. I'll always remember this post when I see one :)

SuzanSayz said...

I saw a pair of sweet little doves on my street the other day. I love them almost as much as I love quails. They just make me happy. I really love watching when there is a whole family and the babies are scampering behind the parents. It's so sad when you see a single dove or quail because you know that means they have lost their mate. Nice post.

The Donald said...

Were they trurtle doves? And is it a pear tree in your parent's back yard?

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

A-hem! just incase you didn't see my comment on or blog... "Bella" is a boy! HIS name is now Jasper!

Love ya,
Cindy