I don't usually use this blog as an outlet for venting, but there's a first time for everything.
My bosses 50th birthday is coming up, which is great. She's worked at Saint Martin's for her whole life, and I'm happy to celebrate with her. My dilemma is that a co-worker is getting her a gift and asking us to pitch in. I don't mind pitching in, but the gift she selected is a Bracelet from Tiffany's.
Maybe since I'm fairly new to the working world, and I haven't had a lot of experience with office gifts, I don't know how these things work, but this seems really excessive. I only worked in this office for 9 months, and this really isn't a high paying job. The amount she's asking for is more than Daniel and I spend on date nights/entertainment each month, and about what we'd spend for a few days of groceries. Mind you, we're cheap people, this still seems like a lot. Most of the time I enjoy my job, and don't get me wrong, this is for a boss that I like, but don't really know her that well.
I wouldn't get this gift for my mom, or mother-in-law, and these are two women I do know and love, so why would a Tiffany's Bracelet be the perfect gift for a boss? Is this normal? Those of you out there with more years of work experience than me, tell me please, is this excessive, or am I stingy, miserly, and not used to office gifts. I need advice/answers quick!
7 comments:
We often do presents at work for bosses or new babies or weddings. However, unless agreed upon ahead of time, it's a 'by donation' system. You donate what you can afford and then they pick out an appropriate gift. If you didn't agree to that dollar amount ahead of time, I say go and tell her it's outside of your budget.
Jeff says...
First of all, Heck no. It is absolutely excessive. Still contribute, but only what you would normally for such an occasion. Let the people that approved the gift decision pony up the amount. They are the ones being ridiculous. They're using poor office gift manners. To sum it up they are being RUDE.
If the normal amount is usually 5-10 dollars, that is what you should give. If they give you hassle, just explain to them that's all you can contribute.
Holy smokes, that's pretty excessive if you ask me. At my old office, people would come around asking for money for birthdays and usually I just forgot to give it (conveniently...yes but still). I would just tell the person that what they are asking for is out of your budget and then just make sure to get her a card or something. Good luck!
I hate office gifts... and I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with that crap anymore!!
I'm with Heidi - chip in the 5 or 10 that you'd normally do for a baby or wedding gift, and let the brown nosers who chose the over-the-top gift pick up the extra.
Alicia, don't you dare let them intimidate you into giving them more than 10 bucks. I agree with everyone before me. That is just plain ridiculous to get such an over-priced gift. For Heaven's sake, thats what a husband gives his wife of 50 years not a group of office workers.
And don't you even for a minute feel embarrassed either. Whoever thought this up should be ashamed of herself.
And you know what? I bet that you aren't the only one there who feels this way.
I agree, DO NOT buy into these office politics. It is a game you need not play!
I have never heard of such a thing and i have been in many a office.
oh and you are not cheap or anything else :) Love ya!
I agree with everyone else! Please let us know what happens!
Post a Comment