I felt pretty fancy last night when I went to the Board of Trustees Dinner for work. I was selected to be on the University Council, and to kick off the retreat we had today, there was a dinner last night. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I was a little nervous at the thought of a dinner with the President, cabinet, and trustees, but it went well. Daniel and I got there a part way through "social hour" to find a bunch of older adults mingling around the open bar. We got ourselves a drink, (Izze sparkling juice. I had blackberry and Daniel had pomegranate,) and tried to meet a few people. Most of the crowd were CEO's of local businesses, and other well known community members so I felt moderately intimidated, but it was kind of exciting at the same time. At 6:30 I was immensely relieved that we got to sit down for dinner. In order to facilitate getting to know each other, they split up couples around the table. I got to sit across from Daniel and smile at him all night. We were assigned to the same table as the President, his wife, a board member and his wife, a student from the council and Bill Tolliver, the keynote speaker at the retreat today. It turned out to be an enjoyable dinner, and it ended up being a lot less nerve wracking than I thought it might be. Today's retreat was also good. We had more food, and worked on strategic planning for the University. I felt involved, and enjoyed a day out of the office.
Mike and Cindy came down to my parents on Sunday, and after a wonderful evening with lots of laughs, I was holding Danee when Daniel asked for a turn. For him, this is a monumental. I couldn't help but snap a picture of her sleeping in his arms. Hopefully soon he'll be able to put his own little babe to sleep! (not an announcement)
I think I might enjoy running. But I'm not sure yet. I'm continuing to train for a triathlon, and for the most part my swimming and biking are where they should be. So I decided I need to focus on running. I've never enjoyed running, and I usually end up feeling like I'm about to die, but the last few times, I've been able to go farther and longer. I've enjoyed exploring the streets close to where I live. They are lined with trees and old houses. I even discovered a cute little bed and breakfast just a block and a half away. I've loved getting out and exercising, this triathlon is exactly the motivation I needed.
3 comments:
The triatholon is excellent motivation for me as well. I have actually been able to run farther than I could in high school. On Monday, I ran 2 miles without stopping for a breather or walking. That hasn't happened for a long time! Keep up your good work. It's going to feel so good to cross that finish line!
Oooh, a fancy dinner with important people. I'm super impressed you were brave enough to take even one picture. I would be too afraid of looking like some Hillbilly that finally gets a chance to come to the big city. tee hee.
I saw the picture of Daniel holding Danee, and before I had even read that far, I thought,"Daniel? Holding Danee? Must have been coaxed into it."
How fun that he wanted to do it all by himself.
So exciting. Hobbnobbin. :) What was for dinner? I only ask because I'm starving right now.
Post a Comment