Because I work in a very old brick building, and because it has been in the 100's outside all week, and because there is no air conditioning in this very old brick building which means it's in the 95+'s inside all week, I have been getting off early. For the sake of my sanity.
As a result of these aforementioned circumstances, Daniel and I have been spending a lot of time at my parents house...because they have a pool, and because they have a window air conditioner in one room, and also because we love them. This makes these super hot days much more enjoyable.
But even the swimming pool gets hot quickly in this kind of weather, and the window a/c unit can only do so much. So yesterday, we escaped to the cool darkness of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. It was so pleasant sitting inside the theater that when we left to go outside, the hot air felt foreign and wrong. This weather had put my body into a funk of thinking it's on vacation somewhere exotic, and all the hours playing in the pool, and lounging around trying to stay cool have only reinforced this vacation notion. Somehow this relaxed lifestyle doesn't mesh very well with the reality of still having to get to work by 7:30 and sitting at a desk all morning. Waiting for the go ahead to leave because of the temperature.
So I sit here, nearby fans recirculating stuffy air, with little to do, finished with lunch, waiting to come up with some sort of entertainment to get through the next couple hours. I decided an after lunch piece of gum might do the trick, so I went to my purse, opened it up, and saw our leftover bag of peanut butter m&m's from the movie yesterday. I managed to have some self control, after all, Daniel would miss them if I didn't leave any for him. I must say though, that little interlude in my day, of peanut butter-chocolate goodness definitely hit the spot. It seemed to mend this mental gap between the worlds of vacation and work.
5 comments:
I want to be on vacation too...
I heard it was super hot up there, good luck with that. At least you get to get off early!
Alicia, I just love these little glimpses into your fun, happy, life. Sorry for the horrible heat. For some reason it feels like our little bit of the state is the one responsible for the heat you are having to endure.
Oh and PS. I DO remember making you those CD's. I really enjoyed that. I'm so pleased to know that you still listen to them and that I was the one that started you on the road of CD burning.
What a perfectly written post :)
Thank goodness for the m&m's
I'm so happy that you are happy about winning my little give-away.
My e-mail is
soozimail@gmail.com
Post a Comment