Monday, January 25, 2010

our walk

On Saturday we put on our walking shoes, headed out on our usual route through the neighborhoods close by. It was a gorgeous day, with blue sky and puffy white clouds. We usually go on a walk in the evening, so this mid day walk was a good change. Instead of keeping to our normal route, we decided to head down town. We live pretty close, so it wasn't to far to go, and soon there were people everywhere. It was like the world had awoke from its hibernation. The hustle and bustle of the streets was therapeutic. We wandered in and out of quaint little shops, looking and touching neat little trinkets, and the smell of a little BBQ restaurant on one corner made me regret my empty pockets.
The thing I loved the most about this walk was that it wasn't planned. It resulted out of a distraction. Daniel has a sixth sense to tell when I'm getting irritated or upset, and he was able to quickly suggest the perfect remedy of fresh air and hand holding. We didn't have a destination, or a course in mind. If we got to a corner, one of us would choose left or right and we'd head that way. Daniel and I are usually the kind of people who plan things, and try to stick with them. But on Saturday we were spontaneous, and I was happier than I'd been in a while.
I'm trying to become more of a spontaneous person. Lately none of the plans I've made have worked out. In fact, almost every aspect of my planning has fallen through, and I've decided to step back and let Daniel take over. He is now in charge, and if spontaneity is what happens, I think I'll embrace it.

1 comment:

SuzanSayz said...

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me Alicia. I love the image of you two holding hands and walking around the outer limits of your neighborhood.
You never know how being a bit more spontaneous may work out. Some pretty amazing things can happen when you just "Go with the Flow".
Have a happy week and let Daniel lead the way.
He is such a Keeper!