Tuesday, May 11, 2010

a bit of a funk

I'm feeling overwhelmed this week.

Lots of changes and lots to do.

It was manageable until Sunday evening, and then I could tell this week was sure to be a doozie.

So far I'm right.

Work has been chaotic, but I saw that coming. Each day I pray for a positive attitude, that I'll be able to make it through the day. Yesterday there were tears involved. I wish I didn't care so much. That would make it easier. Each day there is too much drama. It makes me wonder how much I am supposed to take. At what point do I draw the line and say enough is enough. How bad do I really need health insurance? and a paycheck?

I'm supposed to teach Relief Society on Sunday. Normally this is fine and I really enjoy it, but I'm feeling so busy this week, that it seems like it'll be a stretch to get my lesson ready and up to scratch by Sunday morning. Also, I've now been asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting. Like anybody wants to hear from me twice in one block of meetings...Please!

Next Saturday I'm in charge of decorations for a Stake Women's conference and I can't even begin to think about all of that yet, but I can't afford not to.

Thank goodness I've had a little more energy since coming back from vacation. Otherwise I think I might be drowning instead of just treading water. As it is, I'm managing to stay afloat.

But last night, as I was in bed, feeling sorry for myself and fighting back tears I made Daniel help me come up with a list of things I'm grateful for.

The list went something like this:

Our baby. (yes, we're expecting again. I'm almost 15 weeks!)
Wesley
The sunshine we got over the weekend
The lovely spring flowers I planted on our balcony
The Sunday afternoon nap I took in the sunshine on our balcony
Fresh fruit
Only working 8 hours a day
Not having a car payment
Good friends in our ward.
People being SO excited for my pregnancy. It really does buoy me up and make me happier!
Not living in Idaho anymore (I know it has been close to 3 years, but this still makes the list!)
Jamba Juice gift cards Daniel got me (got one this morning to help me through the day)
The perspective that all the drama at work really isn't huge in the eternal scheme of things
Having my whole family home and together
My sister Rachel has a really awesome boyfriend and I'm happy for her
Being able to afford to get my hair cut whenever I want.
Getting to ride the cable cars in San Francisco
At the end of this list, the tears were gone, and I was feeling better. It's amazing how counting your blessings makes life sweeter.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, I didn't know you were expecting again. We are very excited for you. Don't let too many things are you list get to you. It is only a test to see if you know about what is important. Just do the most important things each day and the rest will wait until tomorrow.
Love, Aunt Verlene

Em and Ms said...

Wow, that's a lot for one person to handle, then throw in pregnancy and no wonder you're overwhelmed! I'm glad you're feeling better. And CONGRATULATIONS! Add me to the list of people SO excited for your pregnancy. I hope you've been feeling well and that you can make it through all these responsibilities. Hang in there.

Sarah and Chris said...

That was inspiring. I have been feeling weighted down a lot lately with moving, buying a house, Dallin and Chris and baby #2 and not seen a doctor for over 3 months for the pregnancy, trying to set everything up so we can redo parts of the house. I have been feeling down and there have been plenty of tears but I should follow your lead and make a list of things that I am thankful for. Thanks Alicia!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Love you! Your the best and I am the number 1 fan of this tiny little sweet heart growing inside you :)

Anne Bennion said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you! As far as your week goes, let me know what I can do to help. I for one am jealous that I only get to hear you speak in Sacrament meeting and not Relief Society. Plus, I am willing to help with decorations if you need me to. I would have to help in advance as I will be out of town next week and might not be attending Women's Conference. Please Please call me if you need anything!!!

SuzanSayz said...

I'm wearing a big smile right now hearing that you are expecting again. You really are carrying a lot on your back right now and I don't blame you one bit for feeling overwhelmed. But you're right to try to keep it in prospective. A month from now, the talk and the lesson will be way behind you, the decorating will turn out just fine too. One thing I've observed in my many years of noticing these things is that the majority of people don't even really pay all that much attention to things like decorating. They enjoy whatever is done and very seldom take the time to think about the actual process. I don't really know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm sure that you will not only make everything work out, but you will have grown and gained just that much more life experience.
And THAT is invaluable.

Lauren Ricks said...

CoNgRaTs!!! I'm so excited for you and Daniel. Hopefully you get a break from all the exhaustion soon. Hang in there :)

Lisa Christine said...

You're pregnant!!!!! Such exciting news!!!!!!!! I am SO SO Happy for you!!!!!

Trenton & Maren said...

Wooohooo! I am so happy to hear you are expecting. What a great announcement. And hang in there. Life gets crazy but Heavenly Father knows each of us and our limits. He will buoy you up!

Brent and Nicole said...

UM, congratulations!!! That is so exciting Alicia!

The Starter House said...

whaaaa! congrats! i kinda suspected yesterday at church, there was something about you...:) must be that pregnancy glow!